Compton Bassett Chapel – DBA

arrow-25-512_LEFT

Previous Project

 Next Project arrow-25-512_2

 

Compton Bassett Chapel 

1779 Historic Chapel 
1, 064 SF
Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Services:
Historic Preservation, Exterior Repairs, Survey + Assessment, Construction Administration

Awards:
2017 AIA Maryland Excellence in Design


Compton Bassett, a Maryland plantation patented by Clement Hill in 1699, is considered to be one of Prince George’s County’s most refined and well preserved Georgian homesteads.  In addition to the buildings’ architecture, the Georgian style is reflected in the symmetry of the site plan with four dependencies placed at the four corners of the home, one in each compass direction.  One of these buildings is the chapel.  Constructed in 1779, it was built prior to the construction of the existing 1798 mansion.  The brick structure is distinguished by its steep gable roof.

DBA worked with the Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission to assess the structural conditions of both the house and chapel and conduct necessary repair efforts.  In 2013 a portion of the southeastern wall of the chapel structure collapsed pulling down part of the chimney with it.  A two phase project has been completed comprising of a structural assessment and construction documents for the repair of the exterior envelope.

 

  • Davis Buckley Architects and Planners
    1612 K Street, NW, Suite 900
    Washington, DC 20006
    T: 202-223-1234
    F: 202-223-1212

  • Follow Us

    Facebooklinkedinyoutubeinstagram