Compton Bassett House – DBA

arrow-25-512_LEFT

Previous Project

 Next Project arrow-25-512_2

 

Compton Bassett House 

1798 Georgian Building
7, 333 SF
Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Services:
Historic Preservation, Assessment + Work Plan, Construction Administration


Compton Bassett is considered to be one of Prince George’s County’s finest examples of symmetrical Georgian style. The main house was built shortly after the Revolutionary War in 1798 to replace the original home that burned 27 years earlier.  The two-story hip-roofed house has a center hall plan with two rooms flanking either side of the hall.  Its exterior features a pebble dashed finish above the water table while the interior is comprised of intricate woodwork and an impressive curving grand staircase.  The house and its surroundings have remained largely untouched over the course of the past 250 years.

DBA worked with the Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission to assess the structural conditions of both the house and chapel and conduct necessary repair efforts.  Based on the studies and investigations of the current conditions of the main house which has large cracks, loss of mortar, and loss of entire brick units, DBA developed a stabilization plan that will inform the repair of its structural walls and exterior envelope.

 

  • Davis Buckley Architects and Planners
    1612 K Street, NW, Suite 900
    Washington, DC 20006
    T: 202-223-1234
    F: 202-223-1212

  • Follow Us

    Facebooklinkedinyoutubeinstagram