PRESIDENT MONROE AND GENERAL MACFEELY HOUSE
Exterior Restoration of Historic House
Historic Preservation, Renovation, Surveying Existing Conditions, Data Collection
National Register of Historic Places
Davis Buckley Architects and Planners were engaged by 2001 Associates to restore the historic facade of the James Monroe House (1805). James Monroe lived in this house while he was a cabinet member and during the first six months of his presidency while the White House was being rebuilt. In the 1820’s, this building served as the British Embassy and was considered a social center in the capital. The historic structure has been the home of the Arts Club of Washington since 1916. This organization is a non-profit establishment whose mission is to generate public appreciation for and participation in the arts in the Nation’s Capital through ongoing educational programs that include seminars, literary events, art exhibitions, and musical and theatrical performances.
The preservation of the facade involved production of detailed measured drawings, historic paint testing, mortar analysis for repointing, mill work replication, extensive sandstone and brownstone repair and faux finishing. DBA retained the integrity of this structure throughout the restoration process.