Perry Point, MD
Historic Preservation, Renovation, Sustainable Design, Surveying Existing Conditions
Maryland Historic Trust
During the mid-18th century, the Thomas family established a generous plantation at Perry Point along the Chesapeake Bay. This strategic site was acquired by the federal government in 1918 and the site today accommodates a large hospital facility for the Veterans’ Administration. The 1735 Grist Mill and 1750 Mansion House are the two oldest structures owned by the Veterans Affairs.
The expansive 280 acre site was once the location of a Susquehannock Native American community and their burial grounds are still scattered about the premises. A significant archeological component was included in the scope of work to ensure no disturbance was done to these sites.
Davis Buckley Architects and Planners (DBA) developed a detailed conditions assessment for each structure which guided the design for the preservation plan and rehabilitation of these two structures to the era of historical significance as approved by the Maryland Historical Trust. DBA’s design successfully underwent the Section 106 Review.
The projects have been reviewed for LEED compliance and geothermal wells will be installed in both buildings.